Motorized Recreation Access

Frequently Asked Questions about Motorized Recreation Access

What changes have been made for 2018?

There are few changes in the 2018 program.  For full details, please view the rules and regulations pertaining to each forest specifically any hunting restrictions.

What can I expect when I buy a permit on line?

After you purchase a permit, an email receipt/ permit will be sent to you immediately.  If you do not receive it shortly after purchase, your payment may not have been approved and your permit has not been purchased.  Please contact us if you do not receive your emailed permit with assigned permit number within 24 hours from purchase.  You MUST print this page to carry with you.  We will mail you a key, windshield sticker for your vehicle and map of the area as well as tags to mark loads of firewood.


How do I add a second vehicle to my permit?

There are three options for adding a second vehicle to your permit.  1) You may add a second vehicle by supplying your permit number, the make, model, color, license number and vehicle insurance company and policy number on-line as you purchase your permit or 2) on the Second Sticker form on the web site.  3) You may also email a written request with a copy of your permit, new vehicle license num­ber, color, make, model and proof of insurance for that vehicle to  Allow 2-3 weeks to receive your second sticker.


What if I sell my vehicle or get my windshield replaced?

You may request a new sticker by mail or on-line.  See above.  Please specify why you are requesting the new sticker.


How does the family permit work?

Permits are for mar­ried spouses and their children under age 19.  Other family members and friends must have their own permit.  Children who are age 18 at the time of permit purchase but will turn 19 during the year may be included on the parent's permit. 


Can I bring a friend or other adult family member?

Every person that is not an immedi­ate family member under age 19 must have their own permit, even if they are riding with a permit holder. 


 Can I buy a permit from a store or in person?

Permits are only available for sale on-line through this web site.


What if I don’t have a computer to buy a permit?

Public computers are available at many libraries.  We hope that the recreation guests who are less comfortable with on-line purchases will utilize a family member or friend to help them through the process.


What happens to the personal information that is given when I buy a permit?

Your personal information will be protected and not sold for any reason.  Your name, address and vehicle information will be shared with security and select law enforcement personnel. 


How many permits will be sold for the season?

For Kapowsin, a maximum of 1200 permits will be sold.  At Eatonville, a maximum of 300 permits will be sold, and at White River a maximum of 500 permits will be sold for the general public.


How do you decide how many permits to sell?

The number of permits available is based on the number of acres that are accessible under the recreation program and is in­tended to accommodate demand for permits while maintaining a high quality recreation experience. 


Do I need to sign in at the gate?

Yes, sign-in cards are available at the gates or you may also print your sign-in page on line and drop it in the box as you enter the property.  Motorized permit holders at ALL areas MUST sign in at each gate EVERY time of entry.  Non-motorized permit holders at White River do not need to sign in.


What if I do not drive, but want to ride with my friend or I am over age 19 and want to ride with a family member?

You will need your own motorized recreation access permit.  If you know that you will not be driving, you may check the passenger only box and you will not need to provide vehicle and insurance information.


What about fire season?

The weather is impossible to pre­dict, but almost every year we can count on several days or weeks of ‘fire weather’ or weather where the fuel moisture is low.  We have a responsibility to protect the property so there will likely be times during the summer and/or fall when the property is completely closed.  Please see the web site home page for updated infor­mation on closures.  Information regarding re-opening the property is available only on the recreation access web site and at 1-800-782-1493.


Can I access White River Forest without a permit if I am using non-motorized access like hiking, bicycling or horseback riding?

A permit is required for all access including hiking, walking, horseback riding and bicycling.  Please see the Frequently Asked Questions under non-motorized access.


At White River -- Can I pick up a non-motorized permit holder and give them a ride?

Non-motorized permit holders at White River may not ride in any motorized vehicle while on property.  Both the non-motorized permit and motorized permit will be revoked if a non-motorized permit holder is riding with a motorized permit holder.


What do I do to cut firewood?

Up to five cords of firewood may be cut with a motorized access permit if wood is available.  Wood must be cut from designated firewood areas during the months of the year that are outside the state-set fire season.  Firewood may be cut from April 1st to April 14th and from October 16th to March 30th.  Only down material from designated areas may be cut, no standing trees may be cut.  Loads must be tagged with firewood tags that come with your permit.  Please see the Rules & Regulations for a complete explanation.


Can I hunt or fish?

Yes! All state laws must be obeyed regarding seasons, licenses, tags and other regulations. Access to Kapowsin and Eatonville is closed during all bull elk seasons.  Successful hunters must fill out a game harvest card either at the gate as they exit the property or on-line. Reminder: No Hunting, fishing, or collection of any kind may occur within the Restriced Use Areas on the White River Tree Farm


At Kapowsin or Eatonville -- Can I transport an elk that I shot on another landowner across Hancock managed lands? 

Kapowsin and Eatonvile are closed to all access during all bull elk seasons unless you are the lucky person to be drawn to hunt elk.  Animals shot on another landowner may not be transported across Kapowsin or Eatonville.


Can I target shoot?

No! Firearms are to be used for hunting during state-set hunting seasons only.  See Rules and Regulations for details.


Can I ride my dirt bike, 4-wheeler or snowmobile?

No motorcycles, snowmobiles or ATVs are permitted, even if they are street legal. Motorcycles, ATVs or snowmobiles cannot be on the property, even in the back of a pick-up or on a trailer.


Can I build a campfire or cook over a barbeque outside designated camping areas?

No!  You may only build a campfire if you have a camping permit, are in a designated camping area, build a fire in a campfire ring and are outside the State-set fire season, usually April 1st to April 14th and October 16th to March 30th.


Can I ride my horse?

A non-motorized access permit is required to ride your horse on White River unless you trailer your horse onto the property with a motorized access permit. At Kapowsin, access with horses is limited to the 7 road system, as designated on the map.  At Ea­tonville, the entire area is accessible by horseback on estab­lished roads only with a recreation access permit.  At all areas, you may ride on established trails and roads but you may not create new trails.


Can I pick berries and mushrooms?

Berries and mushrooms may be picked for personal use only, unless you are within the Restricted Use Areas on White River where there is no fishing, hunting, or collection of any kind.


Can I cut a Christmas tree?

No trees may be cut for any purpose.


Is there special access for handicapped hunters?

Handicapped hunters are welcome to hunt during state hunting seasons with a recreation access permit.  If the handicapped hunter requires a helper to accompany them, the hunter and the helper must make an appointment and come to the Han­cock office.  The hunter must bring a copy of his or her Wash­ington State disabled hunting license and placard and the helper must sign a waiver to be on the property.  To make an appoint­ment, leave a message at 800-782-1493.  If the helper wants to hunt, he or she must have their own recreation access permit.


Can I purchase maps separately?

Hancock maps are not available for purchase separately.  Commercial maps called ‘Green Trail’ maps are available at many outdoor stores and online.


What if I lose my key or permit?

Lost or stolen keys or permits cannot be replaced.


Can we host an organized event on the property?  (Ie: horseback riding event, cross-country run, mountain bike event, etc.)

Permits are for personal use only.  Organized events require a special permit and insurance to cover the event.  For more information, call 1-800-782-1493.


Can I use my recreation access permit in order to do research?

Permits are for personal use only.  All research requires a study plan and special permit for access.  For more information, call 1-800-782-1493.


What if permits sell out before I purchase mine?

Per­mits are available on a first-come, first-served basis.  Additional permits will not be sold.  Purchase your permit early!


What happens if I break the rules?

In order to maintain the privilege of using private property for recreational access, all rules and regulations must be followed and are strictly en­forced. If you are caught breaking the rules, your permit will be revoked at least for the remainder of the season and possibly longer.  If you disagree with the decision, there is an appeal process that is available by request.